Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Tooth Fairy is a Thief

The Tooth Fairy visits your house in the middle of the night, only she isn't just taking your children's teeth.  What is she stealing from your house and how do you attempt to stop her. W.D.

Getting home after an afternoon at the dentist is always a welcomed relief.  My daughter Shelly gets a a baby tooth removed and the assistant gives her a lollipop.  I get a temporary crown and a shot of Novocaine and the assistant gives me a bill.

That night Shelly wore her princess pajamas, tiara included, as she did when she expected a visit from the Tooth Fairy.  When I put her to bed, she put her tiara on the bedpost and the tooth under her pillow.  I gave her a kiss, turned off the light, and left the room.

The next morning I woke up to Shelly tugging my arm.

"Come on Dad!" she said, "My ring is missing!"

"What?" I said as I followed her down the hall.

Shelly showed me to her jewelry box.  The box was open and her two rings were missing from it.

"Where are your rings?" I asked her.

"I don't know where the red one is," she replied, "but the blue one is under here."

She picked up her pillow, uncovering the blue ring and a neatly folded one dollar bill.  I started looking around for the missing ring but Shelly stopped me.

"There's no use Dad.  I think the Tooth Fairy took it." she said.

A couple of days later I went back to the dentist to get my temporary crown replaced with a permanent one.  As the dentist and her assistant made the preparations I told them how Shelly thought the Tooth Fairy took her ring.  They were both touched by the story and continued to talk about it as they turned my mouth into a construction site.  When they took the temporary crown out I noticed how much it looked like a real tooth and asked them if I could take it home with me.

That night I had Shelly put the fake tooth under her pillow.  I went into the closet and sat comfortably among the stuffed animals and the Barbie dolls.  I closed the door and waited for the Tooth Fairy.

Hours later I was woken up by a small luminous creature hovering above Shelly's bed.  The fairy went straight for the jewelry box and opened it.  As she looked through the box I sneaked out of the closet and hid at the foot of the bed.  She gave up looking through the box once she realized there was nothing of interest.

She hopped over to the bed and worked her way under the pillow.  A few seconds later she came out with the tooth, then reached back under the pillow.  She pulled something out and put it on her head.  The fairy took a serious look at the tooth and her luminescence all but disappeared when she realized the tooth was fake.  That's when she saw me.

With the face of a small child that has been caught red handed, the fairy came over and hovered in from of my face.  She reached up to her head, took off Shelly's ring, and offered to me.  As I reached for it I asked her why she took it.

"I wanted to feel like a princess, like Shelly." she said.  "I tried many things but nothing fits!  I though a ring would work, but it keeps falling off."

I smiled at her and raised my index finger.  "Hold that thought." I said.

I went to the closet and browsed through the Barbie dolls.  At last I found the right one, a Barbie with a full Princess ensemble.  I took the little tiara off her head and went over to the Tooth Fairy.  I showed it to her and her face lit up with a smile.  She bowed her head slightly and I carefully placed the tiara on her head.

"A perfect fit." I said.

"Thank you!" she said with a smile, then disappeared in a burst of light.

I have not seen the Tooth Fairy since that night.  I don't think Shelly ever believed that I had given her the tiara, either.  But, Ever since then, there are two one dollar bills under Shelly's pillow after the Tooth Fairy pays her a visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment